PLANO, Texas -- UGS PLM Solutions, the product lifecycle management subsidiary o f EDS, today announced it has achieved Leadership Status -- with top scores in both major evaluation categories -- in META Groups recently rel eased METAspectrum for Product Lifecycle Management (PLM). META Group is a lead ing research and consulting firm that focuses on information technology and busi ness transformation strategies. The new METAspectrum evaluation provides an objective assessment of companies pr oviding PLM, which the report describes as the range of collaborative appl ications that address the creation, control and communication of product-related information inside the enterprise and with partners. We are very pleased with our top ranking by META Group and we applaud the evaluation criteria and methodology used in the newly released METAspectrum, 8; said Tony Affuso, president and CEO of UGS PLM Solutions. META Group ha s done an excellent job of capturing the key components that define what is impo rtant when evaluating a PLM supplier and its offerings. The results serve to val idate the proven deployments, flexibility and scalability of our industry-leadin g Teamcenter® solution and the report recognizes UGS PLM Solutions lea ding market presence and exceptional software and services performance.
Top Scores In Both Areas of Evaluation
UGS PLM Solutions was placed in the leadership segment of the METAsp ectrum analysis, having achieved top scores in both market presence and performa nce -- the two main dimensions by which a product and its associated vendor are analyzed in the META Group report. Specific strengths cited in the report regard ing UGS PLM Solutions and its products include:
- Excellent enterprise multi-CAD visualization capabilities with support for s ix integrated tools available for specific visualization needs, such as collabor ative design. The visualization tools areembedded in UGS PLM Solutions Teamcenter suite of PLM applications.
- Desirable breadth for a PLM solution, enabling organizations to buy from a s ingle vendor.
- Expertise to help implement and manage PLM installs for organizations.
- Financial capability to continue investing in software development
- Off-the-shelf PLM industry solutions covering multiple verticals (e.g., auto motive, aerospace/defense, consumer packaged goods).
- Evaluation Categories: Market Presence and Performance According to the META Group report: Proven deployments, flexibility and sc alability of the PLM technology backbone, and evolution of PLM functionality acr oss the product life cycle define the standard for success in the PLM market. V endors should be evaluated first on proven market presence, particularly in spec ific industries, second on feature/functionality, and third on services provided in-house or through partnerships. The report continues, As PLM strategies are long term and core components such as PDM are still central to the PLM strategy, vendor viability, measured by market presence, is important. Performance points the way forward and is an ind icator of cost of ownership. As the market matures and overall performance impr oves, pricing, implementation, and support will become more important. Teamcenter Teamcenter, UGS PLM Solutions flagship PLM portfolio, optimizes business p erformance by uniting product knowledge and collaboration across the extended en terprise, throughout the product lifecycle. Teamcenter is the PLM digital enterp rise backbone, with industry-leading, proven solutions targeted at lifecycle dom ain and industry-focused business challenges where quick implementation and a ra pid return on investment are essential. UGS PLM Solutions announced in October that Teamcenter had exceeded one million licenses sold -- the first PLM portfoli o to achieve this milestone. About UGS PLM Solutions UGS PLM Solutions, a leader in product data management, collaboration and produc t design software and services with 41,000 clients and more than 2.6 million sea ts of technology operating in the market, is the product lifecycle management (P LM) subsidiary of EDS. The company works collaboratively with its clients to cr eate solutions enabling them to transform their process of innovation and thus b egin to capture the promise of PLM. The integration of the former operations of companies including Structural Dynamics Research Corporation (SDRC), Engineerin g Animation Inc. (EAI) and UGS, UGS PLM Solutions has created some of the leadin g design, collaboration and product data management technologies that ultimately formed the foundation of the PLM industry. Today, the company is a family of o ne, building on three decades of leadership in continuing to be a pioneer in PLM . For more information on UGS PLM Solutions products and services, visit www.ugsplmsolutions.com o r www.eds.com. About EDS EDS, the worlds most experienced outsourcing services company, delivers su perior returns to clients through its cost-effective, high-value services model. EDS core portfolio comprises information-technology and business process outsourcing services, as well as information-technology transformation services. EDS two complementary, subsidiary businesses are A.T. Kearney, one of the worlds leading high-value management consultancies, and UGS PLM Solutions , a leader in product data management, collaboration and product design software . With 2002 revenue of $21.5 billion, EDS is ranked 80th on the Fortune 500. The companys stock is traded on the New York (NYSE: EDS) and London st ock exchanges. Note: Teamcenter is a registered trademark of UGS PLM Solutions Inc. or its sub sidiaries in the United Statesand in other countries. All other trademarks, registered trademarks or service marks belong to their respective holders. METAspectrum Disclaimer Copyright © 2003 META Group, Inc. All rights reserved. Permission to reprod uce this research has been granted by META Group, Inc. Any further reproduction or redistribution of this research in any form without prior written approval is prohibited. METAspectrum is META Group’s independent evaluation of a technology market, representing marketplace characteristics at a given time and are subjec t to change without notice. META Group’s permission to reproduce this evaluation should not be deemed to be an endorsement of any company or product. META Group research is intended to be one of many information sources and decision-makers should not rely solely on the METAspectrum evaluation for making solution choice s. META Group expressly disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including but not limited to fitness of this research for a particular purpose or merchant ability.