PLANO, Texas -- EDS today announced leading product lifecycle management (PLM) c onsulting and research firm CIMdata has confirmed EDS as the market revenue lead er in the PLM industrys highest-growth segment -- collaborative Product De finition Management (cPDm) -- for the second consecutive year. CIMdata defines cPDm as a business process that enables enterprises to harness t heir innovation process through effective management of the full product definit ion lifecycle in their extended enterprise. It is provided through a combinatio n of best-practices processes and technologies such as product data management, collaboration, visualization, collaborative product commerce, enterprise applica tions integration and components supplier management. CIMdata estimates the mark et for cPDm software and services to achieve a compound annual growth rate of 17 percent through 2007. We are gratified CIMdata has once again confirmed EDS leadership pos ition in cPDm, the fastest growing segment of the PLM market, said Tony Af fuso, president, EDS PLM Solutions. EDS recognition of cPDm as the c ritical enabling technology of PLM has helped fuel our success by enabling us to focus on the area of PLM that creates the most value for our clients. The open, scalable nature of our world-class cPDm software and services offerings enables rapid, effective PLM deployments that integrate with the most complex product d evelopment environments. As a result, our clients can focus their efforts on del ivering superior products to their customers rather than redesigning their IT in frastructure.
CIMdata looked at three categories to determine the leadership position: revenue , market presence and market share. According to its revenue estimates for 2002 , the firm credits EDS as the:
- Leader among comprehensive cPDm technology suppliers with approximately $900 million in revenue.
- Global comprehensive technology supplier with the greatest market presence based on combined direct and partne r revenues of approximately $1.1 billion.
- Category leader with 38 percent of the cPDm market when considering only the comprehensive cPDm vendors in the space, and 22 percent when accounting for the entire cPDm market (includes comprehensive vendors as well as SIs, resellers, V ARs, consultancies and focused application vendors).
- CIMdata also cited the significant progress EDS has made in two other key areas:
- Integrating and enhancing the product suites of the former SDRC and UGS orga nizations, which EDS acquired and merged into its PLM Solutions line of business in 2001.
- Integrating its PLM business further across all its other business units: A. T. Kearney, Solutions Consulting and Operations Consulting. In 2002, its first full year as a part of EDS, PLM Solutions had an industry-leading $2.1 billion p resence in the PLM market, including a combined $1 billion in pull-through reven ue for A.T. Kearney, Operations Solutions and Solutions Consulting in services a round the PLM market.
- According to CIMdata, EDS continues to offer one of the most comprehensive PLM solution portfolios in the industry. Market Definition CIMdata defines PLM as a strategic business approach that applies a consistent s et of business solutions in support of the collaborative creation, management, d issemination and use of product definition information across the extended enter prise from concept to end of life -- integrating people, processes, business sys tems and information. According to the firm, PLM forms the product information backbone for a company and its extended enterprise. The cPDm segment of the PLM market, according to CIMdatas definition, enco mpasses all of PLM except for information authoring and analysis tools such as m echanical and electronic computer-aided design (MCAD and ECAD), computer-aided s oftware engineering (CASE) and technical publishing. CIMdata is expected to release its full report in June 2003. About EDS EDS, the leading global services company, provides strategy, implementation, bus iness transformation and operational solutions for clients managing the business and technology complexities of the digital economy. EDS brings together the wo rlds best technologies to address critical client business imperatives. I t helps clients eliminate boundaries, collaborate in new ways, establish their c ustomers trust and continuously seek improvement. EDS, with its managemen t-consulting subsidiary, A.T. Kearney, serves the worlds leading companies and governments in 60 countries. EDS reported revenues of $21.5 billion in 200 2. The companys stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: EDS ) and the London Stock Exchange.