LMS Samcef Thermal
Solve complex thermal and thermomechanical problems including contact and radiation
LMS Samtech Samcef Thermal enables you to model thermal and thermomechanical problems affecting structures. The thermal solver models conduction and advection subjected to convection and radiation boundary conditions. The finite element library consists of many element types allowing anisotropic and multilayer composite properties.
You can apply the convection boundary conditions directly to the structure or via flow channels using correlation formulas. You can also apply thermal contact between dissimilar meshes as well as perform a view factor calculation using a raytracing algorithm. The surface radiation calculation includes wavelength dependent thermo-optical properties and the application of a solar flux, including shading.
In addition to basic thermal elements, fully coupled thermo-electromagnetic elements are available. This modeling is used to calculate heating of a structure (and possible degradation) while solving Maxwell equations.
All properties in LMS Samcef Thermal (material, boundary conditions and contact conditions) can be a function of temperature resulting in the creation of a nonlinear problem. The thermal solution shares parallel nonlinear solver technology with LMS Samcef Structure Nonlinear and LMS Samcef Amaryllis. This common platform is beneficial when performing a thermomechanical analysis. With a fully coupled approach, you can model heat generation by material deformation (plasticity) as well as friction. You can use LMS Samcef Amaryllis to study the thermal response of the heat shield of atmosphere re-entry vehicles or composite structures subjected to fire.
LMS Samcef Thermal Capabilities
LMS Samcef Thermal provides you with these features:
- Thermomechanical solution that allows seamless exchange between thermal and mechanical analysis
- Ability to analyze the curing of composites
- Unique solution for mixing axisymmetric and 3D models including view-factor calculation
- Availability of thermo-electromagnetic elements (such as lightning strike)
- Integration with LMS Imagine.Lab Amesim
LMS Samcef Thermal Benefits
LMS Samcef Thermal helps you:
- Better predict fatigue phenomena due to cyclical heating of structures
- Substantially reduce modeling time when a detailed thermal analysis is needed or when material degradation needs to be taken into account, with the seamless integration with LMS Samcef Nonlinear Structural Analysis