Ship Design and Engineering
Optimize the productivity of ship design and ship engineering teams with an integrated software portfolio
Building today’s advanced ships is a daunting challenge, in large part because it requires managing massive amounts of information. Traditionally, shipbuilding teams needed to repeatedly sort through a single, hierarchical and vast data repository to access the required information; a profoundly inefficient process.
However, as shipbuilders have grappled with the challenge of producing increasingly complex vessels in a highly competitive environment, shipbuilding teams need the ability to create and manage the portion of the ship design and engineering data that is relevant to their specific task and responsibilities.
Siemens PLM Software’s PLM for Shipbuilding solution helps you address these challenges. Utilizing the latest design technology for ship design and engineering, our solution implements a comprehensive approach that overcomes many of the challenges the industry faces today. Our ship design and engineering software is based on NX and fully integrated with Teamcenter, and enables all ship engineering disciplines to be included in a homogenous software portfolio, such as:
- Ship structural design
- Composites design
- Outfitting design for piping; heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC); and electrical systems
- Mechanical design for machinery, accommodation and equipment
- Integrated computer-aided engineering (CAE) and design validation, including linear and non-linear strength, multiphysics, thermal, noise, vibration, computational fluid dynamics (CFD) and ergonomics
- Acoustics and vibration analyses
Our product lifecycle management (PLM)/computer-aided design (CAD) environment is compatible with both traditional approaches to ship engineering and design: marine CAD for multidisciplinary teams with the rich/full data lifecycle environment of mainstream PLM systems, and end-to-end PLM for massive and complex ships having millions of managed objects.
Designers and engineers, as well as production and support teams, are offered a significantly more tailored approach to the unique challenges of shipbuilding. Teams can work more efficiently on their specific tasks with software that greatly facilitates their access to and management of in-context and relevant technical knowledge. Now, multiple teams in all departments and operations work in parallel to reduce ship development and construction cycle time while maintaining strict compliance with requirements, schedules and configuration changes. The solution enables overall enterprise synchronization. Specifically, it offers shipbuilders:
- Lifecycle ship knowledge management, which is crucial for lowering the total ownership cost of future ships
- Automated, efficient workflows that ensure enterprise harmony and fidelity
- Ship class and individual hull version control over the design evolution, which is essential for producing multiple ships in a class
- Design re-use that can reduce the cost of future ship classes
- An open format that facilitates data exchange between teams and shipyard operations
The ship design and engineering portfolio enables a single digital, all-encompassing, enterprise-wide environment with rich and full lifecycle management of the most complex, modern and advanced naval and commercial ships.