The D-Cubed components are used in a diverse range of 2D and 3D geometric applications:
- Mechanical Computer Aided Design (MCAD)
- Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAM)
- Computer Aided Engineering (CAE)
- Architecture, Engineering & Construction (AEC), including plant and structural design
- Sheet Metal
- Mold Design
- Garment design
- Drafting / Drawing / Technical Illustration
- Industrial design / Surface design
- Product configurators
- Civil Engineering, Roads and GIS (Geographic Information Systems)
- Virtual Prototyping
- Knowledge Based Engineering
- Motion Simulation
- Coordinate Measuring Machine (CMM) simulation
- Reverse engineering
- Enterprise in-house developments
- Academic and research systems
Some examples of the functionality that these components bring to the above applications include:
2D Dimensional Constraint Manager – D-Cubed 2D DCM
- 2D dimension driven sketching functionality (also known as parametric or constraint based design). The 2D sketches are often used to drive the shape of 3D parts. Applications are very broad, including all CAD markets above, as well as related fields, such as standard parts libraries and product/sales configurators.
- 2D part positioning and kinematic motion simulation. This is the basis for 2D conceptual design sub-systems in 3D design applications, where 2D concepts are simpler to manage than 3D models. 2D representations of assemblies and mechanisms are configured using the 2D DCM to provide the foundation for derived 3D models.
Profile Geometry Manager – D-Cubed PGM
- Profile management for sketching applications, including:
- Generating offset profiles whilst maintaining their integrity. As well as enhancing design systems, the PGM’s sophisticated offset management capability is applicable to CAM systems.
- Measuring loop properties, e.g. loop area
- Applying constraints to profiles (requires 2D DCM)
- Constraining the length and area of profiles (requires 2D DCM)
Hidden Line Manager – D-Cubed HLM
- Generating hidden line views in any design, drafting or technical illustration application.
3D Dimensional Constraint Manager – D-Cubed 3D DCM
- Controlling the position of parts in an assembly using dimensions (parameters) and constraints
- Controlling the shape of a part. This is often used to support non-history based modeling (also known as dynamic modeling, direct modeling or explicit modeling).
- Specifying and modifying 3D sketches. This is often used to (i) specify the parametric curves that are the basis for the surfaces in industrial design systems and (ii) specify the centre-lines of pipe, wire and HVAC routes.
- As with the 2D DCM, applications for the above 3D DCM functionality are very broad, including all 3D CAD markets, such as mechanical, architectural, mold, structural, plant, etc.
- 3D kinematic motion simulation
Collision Detection Manager – D-Cubed CDM
- Computing collisions and clearances between parts. As well as being used to verify designs in various CAD markets, the CDM is also used to detect collisions in off-line CAM and CMM simulations.
Assembly Engineering Manager – D-Cubed AEM
- Computing the motion of parts in an assembly or mechanism under the influences of various engineering forces and devices. The AEM computes the complex interactions of parts that come into contact and transmit motion.
For more information, please contact us.