Create test/CAE hybrid assembly models and analyze noise and vibration performance under operational conditions
LMS Virtual.Lab System-level NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) offers a wide range of tools to assemble components into system-level test/CAE hybrid assembly models and analyze NVH performance under operating conditions. You can build a model from one or more components, including finite element (FE) components and test-based components.
Components are joined by point-to-point connections with specific properties ranging from rigid to complex frequency dependent stiffness, simulating the real physics of the connection mount. Throughout development and as more detailed component models become available, you can gradually refine model parts with detailed FE or test-based component information.
After the simulation model is built, System-Level NVH calculates the assembly’s global dynamics using internal frequency response functions (FRF)-based or modal-based assembly solvers. The resulting model consists of a set of transfer functions or modes that exhibit maximum accuracy and optimal speed for full system noise and vibration assessment. Thanks to this substructuring in modal or FRF-based components, you can very quickly re-evaluate the entire assembled system when changes are made in individual components or in the connection mounts.
To predict noise and vibration behavior under operating conditions, the assembled models are combined with input loads from measurements, multibody simulations or generic sources, typically road noise, engine noise or vibration-induced noise. The solution computes noise and vibration responses using the internal modal response solvers, FRF-based forced response solvers or an FE solver.
Additionally, NVH visualization and analysis tools help you quickly investigate transfer paths and efficiently assess the noise and vibration contribution of individual system parts. You can also look at the forces in the connection mounts and do multi-level contribution analysis: from source to receiver, from source to connection mount or from connection mount to receiver.
System-level NVH Capabilities
System-level NVH provides you with these features:
- Template-based node-to-node assembly of components with any connector type: rigid, spring-damper, frequency-dependent, etc.
- Reposition and rescale components
- Fast modal and FRF-based assembly solvers to determine system level dynamics
- Switching between component representations (full FE, modal, DMIG)
- Fast forced response solvers to determine the response of the system to operational loading
- Multi-level path and modal contribution analysis tools for efficient root cause analysis
System-level NVH Benefits
System-level NVH helps you:
- Easily build system-level models using test and FE components
- Effortlessly replace and automatically reconnect component models using assembly templates
- Predict the mid-frequency range with FRF-based system synthesis
- Conduct efficient “what-if” analysis with FRF-based and modal-based NVH system synthesis and response solvers
- Increase simulation accuracy using measured loads combined with CAE models
- Facilitate communication between development groups by easy FRF or mode data set sharing and to suppliers by using the reduced models avoiding confidentiality concerns