Modal Testing and Analysis
Explore root causes of noise, vibration and durability problems with a system dynamics approach and modal analysis of the structure
The process of modal testing and analysis allows you to study the system dynamics of a structure and to identify root causes of your noise and vibration problems. Modal analysis refers to a complete process including acquisition and analysis phases for understanding system dynamics behavior.
Modal testing systems consist of transducers (typically accelerometers and force cells), an analog to digital converter or frontend to digitize the analog instrumentation signals and a host PC to review and analyze your data.
A modal testing and analysis approach can help you reduce the noise level emitted by your product and assist you in identifying the source of vibrations (such as eliminating component cracking issues).
Using modal analysis to thoroughly understand the nature of your product’s dynamic behavior, you can make system dynamics design decisions that positively affect the development of the product. You can also use modal testing and analysis results to detect changes or damage in your product so you can take countermeasures. Download the theoretical details on modal analysis.
Modal Testing and Analysis Capabilities
Modal Testing and Analysis provides you with these features:
- Determination of system dynamics properties related to the root cause(s) of vibration
- Troubleshooting, simulation and prediction of system attributes
- Design optimization according to noise and vibration targets
- Incremental structural change monitoring
- Identification of structural flexibility properties
- Diagnostics and health monitoring
Modal Testing and Analysis Benefits
Modal Testing and Analysis helps you:
- Understand how a structure vibrates (frequency, damping and mode shapes)
- Accelerate field intervention
- Gain competitive advantage with better performing products
- Build fewer physical prototypes and shorten development cycles
- Enhance performance and reduce component and overall vibration
- Confirm product quality from production line and/or field
- Safeguard against product recalls