Solutions for Semiconductor Equipment Product Lifecycle Management
Semiconductor equipment requirements management, design and manufacturing software to increase research and development productivity, manage complexity, and improve quality
To be successful in the marketplace, semiconductor equipment companies must provide innovative semiconductor process solutions to chip makers at low cost and with leading-edge features, superior quality and reliability. The architectural elements of these process solutions are mechanical functions, electrical controls and software-driven electronics. To keep up with the increasing complexity of these elements, diverse customer needs, and strong competition amid rapid technological change, semiconductor equipment makers must consistently and successfully invest in product and process research and development (R&D), and maximize the R&D productivity.
To increase R&D productivity and avoid wasteful investments, equipment makers must effectively collaborate with semiconductor ecosystem partners, such as foundries and chip makers. The equipment makers must reduce cost through smart sourcing or outsourcing in a global electronics supply chain. To tackle the product complexities, they must implement a modularized product development strategy based upon a common platform with a well-defined technology roadmap and interfaces.
Siemens PLM Software provides a set of unified solutions to help equipment makers to develop and acquire those core capabilities and process optimizations.
Our solutions for semiconductor equipment product lifecycle management (PLM) provide a rich, integrated environment for the development and management of mechanical, electrical, electronic and embedded software content in a single source of product and process knowledge. These high-definition PLM (HD-PLM) solutions improve a globally-distributed development team’s understanding of the product as a whole. The solutions help different functional teams use that understanding to better optimize the trade-offs that drive detailed design, manufacturing, sourcing, sales and service decisions throughout the semiconductor equipment lifecycle.
Using the high-definition product and process information, engineering teams can retain their domain focus, while working in each other’s context to jointly meet overall development goals. This ensures a clear understanding of design intent and provides continuous change impact analysis across the entire electro-mechanical system, minimizes quality issues, and improves the cross-domain collaboration that fuels innovation.
The capabilities for semiconductor equipment management allow you to:
- Define R&D portfolio investment and manage the portfolio’s execution across different product lines, through semiconductor equipment requirements management, portfolio optimization, and program management
- Understand the platform definition and system interfaces across domains and avoid integration issues by linking requirements, functions, logical and physical interfaces, architecture definition, and product structure
- Synchronize mechanical, electronic, software, and electrical interconnect development lifecycles to ensure design quality, customer satisfaction, and prevent avoidable schedule delays
- Streamline the design transfer and engineering changes to manufacturing through highly integrated virtual manufacturing validation, shop floor operations, electronics assembly, and quality key performance indicator (KPI) management
- Enable the joint development collaboration with semiconductor innovation partners with easily accessible information sharing and program-specific security requirements
- Involve supply chain partners early in product lifecycles to effectively manage supply risk, supplier quality, and component availability for new equipment introduction
By capturing proven product and process information and making it readily available to different functional teams and semiconductor ecosystem partners, you can proactively manage market and customer needs, product complexity, design changes, and deliver more innovative and unique features with lower costs. You can also take advantage of the high-definition product and process information platform to continuously assess operations for improvement.
Leading semiconductor equipment makers have adopted the unified PLM solutions from Siemens PLM Software. With our industry best-practice-driven solutions, equipment makers have gained greater R&D productivity, reduced development and operations costs, and successfully managed platform and product complexities to their competitive advantage.