Automotive Electronics Solution for Development and Manufacturing
Cross-discipline automotive electronics solution integrates software-driven systems comprised of mechanical functions, electrical wiring and electronic controls throughout the lifecycle
Vehicles today are differentiated with intelligent features and assistance systems that integrate mechanical functions with electronic controls which are driven by software and connected by physical wiring. Today, these embedded software systems (also known as mechatronics) make up 70 to 90 percent of automotive innovations.
The introduction of mechatronics as part of vehicle development has created a need for more efficient and effective integration of all relevant disciplines. Successfully managing the increasing complexity of today’s vehicles, systems and components — as well as the globally distributed development teams that create them — is critical to effectively delivering vehicles on time and at cost while minimizing customer quality concerns.
Siemens PLM Software offers OEMs and suppliers an automotive electronics product development solution to improve distributed development teams’ understanding of the product as a whole, and to use that total product understanding to better optimize the trade-offs that drive detailed design, manufacturing, sourcing, sales and service decisions throughout the product lifecycle. The solution provides a rich, integrated environment for the development and management of mechanical, electrical, electronic and embedded software content in a single source of product and process knowledge.
Using this integrated resource, engineering teams can retain their domain focus, while working in each other’s context to jointly meet overall development goals. This ensures a clear understanding of design intent and provides continuous change impact across the entire electro-mechanical system, minimizing warranty issues, and improving the cross-domain collaboration that fuels innovation. Automotive OEMs and suppliers can:
- Define and capture the complete set of requirements across the vehicle in a single requirements environment, accessible globally any time of day
- Effectively assess and manage the impact of requirements and product changes to ensure the overall performance of the vehicle meets the requirements and satisfies the customer
- Understand the system definition and interfaces across domains and avoid integration issues by linking requirements, functions, logical and physical interfaces, architecture definition, and product structure
- Define and manage interfaces and dependencies between the different mechatronics systems and domains so that the impact of a change can be quickly identified and assessed avoiding iterative loops and rework
- Leverage integrations with best-in-class tools for modeling, software, electronics, and mechanical design, allowing engineers to work within familiar tools sets while capturing the information in one location for re-use and improved productivity
- Demonstrate compliance to customer and regulatory requirements through full traceability and control of requirements across systems and across domains
- Manage all the complexities of global product variations by accurately representing the bill of materials (BOM), including software and electronics, for all product configurations
The ability to couple the automotive electronics solution with other enterprise processes ensures effective management of work across the lifecycle, and that all information is organized, traceable, and accessible globally. This highly efficient automotive development and manufacturing environment helps OEMs and their suppliers to build the right product and build the product right, resulting in innovative products getting to market faster, at lower cost, and improved quality and reliability.