EDS Unigraphics® NX Next Generation MCAD Software Successfully Completes Customer Testing Phase
Customers Respond Enthusiastically To Total Product Engineering Benefits From Unigraphics NX Technology
PLANO, Texas -- EDS today announced that Unigraphics® NX, the next generati on of mechanical computer-aided design software (MCAD) for product development, successfully completed comprehensive customer testing and will start shipping in August. Unigraphics NX represents the next step in merging the best capabilities of both the Unigraphics and I-deas® premier CAD/CAM/CAE solutions developed by EDS PLM Solutions. Combining the strengths of both products through the innovative new NX architecture extensions to the Unigraphics core software foundation provi des enhanced capabilities to digitally model and validate products and their pro duction processes. Customers cited several areas of productivity benefits within the merged and new capabilities in Unigraphics NX, as follows:
- New User Interaction Model delivers streamlined process for major product ivity gains -- Unigraphics NX contains a new user-interaction model specific ally designed to support highly productive process-oriented workflows. For exam ple, customers testing Unigraphics NX praised faster model creation tools such a s the ability to add standard parts and features to a model through a simple dra g and drop method. Unigraphics NX is streamlined. Its functionality is enhanced, but most imp ressive are new usability features that create design shortcuts across our proce sses, said Mike Kozai, CAD application specialist at Husky Injection Moldi ng Systems in Bolton, Ontario. We will be able to do some common routine d esign functions three times faster now.
- Increased productivity through knowledge enabled applications -- The fully embedded knowledge core in Unigraphics NX turns models into a central repo sitory for all production definition information including critically important engineering specifications. Teamcenterä Engineering software is tightly in tegrated with Unigraphics NX to effectively store and retrieve information for managing knowledge in a controlled environment. We work in a very competitive market. In order to shorten design cycles, we need to innovatively leverage our product knowledge, said Jim DeMercuri o, senior project engineer in the Knowledge Management group at General Motors. Unigraphics NX Knowledge Fusion works well for us because it successfully combines process engineering and technology. This new functionality allows us t o rapidly implement and deploy GM knowledge, best practices, and lessons learned to the user community.
- Innovative Open NX Architecture for PLM Unigraphics NX delivers a product lifecycle management (PLM)-enabled architectur e based on the latest PLM Open industry standards.
- PLM XML provides for integration with other PLM applications for visualizati on, collaboration, knowledge sharing and product data management.
- NX Gateway supports associative interoperability allowing EDS digital author ing tools such as Unigraphics, I-deas, Solid Edge®, FEMAP and Imageware to d irectly exchange and reuse design information.
- I am very impressed with the merged technologies of I-deas and Unigraphics and especially the NX Gateway between the systems, said Anthony Carpenter , CAD system manager at Air International Group Ltd. in Melbourne, Australia. &# 147;Unigraphics NX allows us to easily and quickly share accurate geometry betwe en the two systems without having to use traditional translator software. Unigraphics NX Enhances Customer Value Through Total Product Engineering More than an integrated CAD, CAE, and CAM solution, Unigraphics NX delivers the value of Total Product Engineering to bring strategic advantage that will help d evelop and manufacture higher-quality products faster and at lower cost. Unigra phics NX delivers industry-leading technologies that can significantly increase individual and departmental productivity in design, simulation, and manufacturing; all in an integrated, associative digital environment that addresses the entire product development cycle. Unigraphics NX is complemented by unmatch ed EDS PLM Solutions collaboration technologies and a PLM Open architecture that facilitates innovation across the extended development team and to customers an d suppliers -- regardless of the tools they are using. This integration of best-in-class design, analysis and manufacturing appli cations is a great leap forward toward enabling our product development vision,& #148; said Blair Jackson, CAD supervisor at Goodrich Corporation in Troy, Ohio. EDS has quickly delivered Unigraphics and I-deas interoperability. Our goal is to provide our customers with the most advanced tools and proc esses available to support their total product engineering requirements, s aid Chuck Grindstaff, president, PLM Products, EDS PLM Solutions. Unigraph ics NX provides a proven strategic advantage by effectively leveraging the best applications of both Unigraphics and I-deas, built on a new PLM-enabled architec ture, that uniquely enables total product engineering. About EDS EDS, the leading global services company, provides strategy, implementation, bus iness transformation and operational solutions for clients managing the business and technology complexities of the digital economy. EDS brings together the wor lds best technologies to address critical client business imperatives. It helps clients eliminate boundaries, collaborate in new ways, establish their cus tomers trust and continuously seek improvement. EDS, with its management c onsulting subsidiary, A.T. Kearney, serves the worlds leading companies an d governments in 60 countries. EDS reported revenues of $21.5 billion in 2001. T he companys stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: EDS) and the London Stock Exchange. Note to editors: Unigraphics, Solid Edge, Teamcenter are trademarks or registered trademarks of EDS or its subsidiaries in the United States and in other countries. All other trademarks, registered trademarks or service marks belong to their respective holders.
1 513 576 2151