Kineo Collision Detector
Kineo Collision Detector (KCD) software analyzes spatial interference in CAD/CAM and robotic systems. KCD performs 3D collision detection and minimal distance analysis between triangular mesh surfaces in assembly environments.
KCD can be configured to perform different levels of collision analyses according to the application’s requirements. Software applications can rapidly determine the collision status of an object or obtain a detailed analysis of all colliding facets. It’s possible to measure the minimum distance between non-colliding objects. For colliding objects, KCD can calculate a translation that will restore them to a non-colliding state.
KCD is designed to minimize memory usage and take advantage of parallel processing with:
- Multi-threading to natively use all the machine cores
- Thread-safe mode to perform multiple collision checks in the same scene simultaneously
Industry applications for KCD include clash analysis in assembly validation and collision avoidance in digital mock-up and robotic simulation, among others.
Specialized options are available for collision analysis in complex kinematics (KCD Dynamic) and point cloud environments (KCD for Point Cloud). For collision detection on exact geometry, Siemens PLM Software also offers the D-Cubed CDM component.
Key Capabilities and Benefits
- Performs different types of spatial analyses
- Boolean collision test – simple interference checks
- Exhaustive collision test – set of all colliding pairs of triangles or set of all colliding triangles
- Estimated distance computation – underestimate/overestimate of the shortest distance between non-colliding objects
- Exact distance computation – shortest distance between non-colliding objects
- Estimated penetration distance computation – overestimate of the translation vector that suppresses the collision
- Enables high-performance collision detection and minimal distance computation
- Optimizes for polyhedral geometry
- Extends to handle different data types
- Optimizes memory consumption
- Is multi-threaded and thread-safe