Aircraft Airframe Program Management
Managing airframe systems in an integrated digital environment throughout the entire product lifecycle
Today’s aerospace companies need to launch fewer completely new programs, making the current business climate particularly challenging for aircraft companies. Prime contractors also often compete on newer programs that require them to accept lifecycle performance agreements, which place a premium on total enterprise productivity. In addition, even though they participate in a complex global supply chain comprised of diverse suppliers and partners, aircraft airframe manufacturers are required to respond quickly to changing production schedules.
It is clear that legacy methods and processes to develop aircraft just “won’t fly.” The increasing complexities of new aircraft structures, more integrated electrical systems and innovative manufacturing processes require you to make a paradigm shift in order to improve program performance. Our broad solution portfolio can help you engineer innovative products with improved development processes that address aircraft structural engineering, systems engineering and performance.
Advanced composite materials offer dramatic opportunities for producing lightweight aerostructures that are more durable, innovative, fuel-efficient, corrosion-resistant and easier to maintain than metal structures. Composites are being used more extensively in the manufacture of commercial airliners, military aircraft, helicopters and regional jets because of their desirable weight, performance and strength properties. However, the real potential for composites has not yet been realized because engineers face critical design and manufacturing risks when creating highly engineered composite parts, such as design errors, high manufacturing costs and increased cycle times.
In this new and increasingly complex environment, you must be able to adapt to these challenges in order to realize sustainable profit and growth. This requires perfect program management, including flawless execution by the supply chain:
- Complex program management
- Virtual environments that synchronize global design and development, and speed development cycles
- Value chain management capabilities to help you meet dynamic production schedules
- Faster manufacturing and assembly times
- Virtual prototyping capable of minimizing physical models, assembly error and design rework
- Faster maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) cycle times
- Tools to efficiently design and manufacture parts and assemblies comprised of advanced composite materials
- Fastener management capability to effectively handle complex airframe assemblies
- Support for fast and flawless quality systems throughout the supply chain to avoid bottlenecks
Business success will be determined by your ability to use IT investments to create greater operational efficiencies. The application of dynamic, secure and seamless digital environments that can integrate your operations into a highly functional, global value chain is essential to achieving these efficiencies.
You can use an integrated development environment (IDE) to focus on affordability, asset visibility and supply chain efficiency. IDEs allow program leaders to share company, industry and government best practices and facilitate collaboration between the commercial, military and technology partners. Ultimately, this IDE helps supply chain partners deliver aircraft efficiently and with superior results.
Siemens PLM Software provides fully functional IDEs capable of improving every phase of aircraft development, including the related processes. As a technology partner, Siemens PLM creates a seamless, collaborative business environment that allows you to:
- Create information once and maintain it at its source while enabling all users to access and utilize the data throughout its lifecycle
- Manage systems that ensure timely and accurate configuration control
- Ensure adherence to security processes and procedures
- Have a method for delivering contract data requirements lists (CDRLs) and subcontractor data requirements lists (SDRLs)
- Guarantee adherence to government infrastructure and data standards
- Develop composite structures that meet weight and cost targets
- Manage the interaction between composite materials and hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of fasteners in an aircraft assembly
- Assure quality processes are highly efficient
- Capture non-geometric composites data and associate it with geometry in the 3D CAD model for a truly complete digital product definition
- Obtain feedback, discover design issues and make changes early to minimize costs
- Assess producibility and generate documentation and properties for analysis
- Automate manufacturing processes specific to the composites industry
- Reduce cycle times and time-to-market
Siemens PLM Software product lifecycle management solutions provide a full range of IDE capabilities that help aircraft manufacturers to comply with airframe systems requirements and delivery, and maximize global value chain efficiency. Our unified product suite allows you to seamlessly manage the entire lifecycle of an aircraft airframe program, using a single environment.